history

Henry Lawson

Henry Lawson

Mallacoota BarHenry Lawson, 1910Curve of beaches like a horse-shoe, with a glimpse of grazing stock,To the left the Gabo Lighthouse, to the right the Bastion Rock;Upper Lake where no one dwelleth — scenery like Italy,Lower Lake of seven islets and six houses near the sea;’Twixt the lake and sea a… Read more »

Captain Stevenson’s Point

Captain Stevenson’s Point

In 1841 Captain Stevenson, who had captained whaling ships along the coast, was granted a grazing license.By 1842 Captain Stevenson had built a house on what is now known as Captain Stevenson’s Point. It was the location of a large Aboriginal shell midden which, when excavated, revealed stone and bone… Read more »